Popular Posts

Friday, September 28, 2012

Developing the Habit of an 'Attitude of Gratitude'

Sept 28, 2012

I just found this post in my 'draft' folder. I read it and thought to myself "Wow, what a difference a year makes. I'm so thankful that we've not carried this load in 2012!" It is amazing when we take the time to look back. There, we find perspective. Those storms in life (literal and figurative) that we thought would be the death of us-are but a distant memory. The saying my grandmother used to quote is "This too, shall pass." I had a hard time understanding that quote, as a young girl. Sometimes now, as an adult, I have to be reminded again. This too, shall pass. Most of our struggles and trials aren't remembered even a year later, never mind 5 or 10 years. For those momentous events that change the course of life forever, there is grace. Grace and strength to continue on, despite the enduring pain and struggle resulting from the trial.

Here's my post from 10 mos ago:


November 2011

Thanksgiving is coming. I've been thinking a lot about all that I am thankful for, things that have occurred this past year. The list is long. It contains obvious gianormous landmark events like being my cleared of the initial breast cancer (mis) diagnosis and being able to pay off our mortgage. Mostly, my list contains things less obvious, and perhaps taken for granted by some. Unappreciated by others. Not me. I am so thankful for even the basics of life.

I am thankful for our home, which is still standing-albeit that the roof was ripped off this past summer in a horrific storm and had to be replaced. I am thankful that the insurance company saw fit to cover us and that we found a contractor right away. (This, in and of itself, was no small feat, as thousands of customers were needing repairs after the winter of 2011.) I am thankful that when tree branches fell during all the storms, they did not fall on our cars or house or garage.

I am thankful for the electricity that comes to our home. Never mind the fact that we were out of power for a number of days, twice in the past couple of months. Or the fact that I threw out a couple hundred dollars worth of food twice over. Or how much income we lost due to hubby's places of employment being shut down. Or how much money I spent purchasing candles, batteries and such. Or how strange it was to to wash my hair and dry it in the Dunkin Donuts bathroom :O (hey-desperate times call for desperate measures)  All of these inconveniences only served to make me thankful for the fact that most of the time, we do have electricity at our home, and can afford to pay the bill.

Many here in Connecticut found themselves in situations this fall, similar to those around the world-facing life with no running water and no bathroom facilities. I am thankful that I am on city water and sewer, and was able to use the cold water. I am thankful for shelters that were open to those without.